Flashing back to some much-needed girl time in Tulum when I joined one of my fave yoga instructors (and good friend), Lauren Taus. It’s always a blast when I pickup and travel, especially on a last minute whim like this trip. When you start to overthink it, you can find a million reasons to procrastinate and NOT do the things you want to do. Sometimes you just have to go for it, book that plane or train ticket, and let the rest fall into place.
We have such crazy schedules these days and if we don’t make it a point to STOP and LIVE and ENJOY life, it can easily fly by. It’s important to be mindful of what makes us feel happy and alive. I know I am guilty of getting wrapped up in work and appointments, and weeks can go by in a flash.
So here’s a few easy steps below that I like to follow to keep a healthy balance between work and play. Reset and recharge your bod and mind!
- At the start of each day take 10-20 minutes of “me time” before you do anything else. (That means, no emails, texts, social media or phone calls!)
- Pick one physical activity each day that helps you “check out” and get your blood flowing. (I try to block out 30 minutes to 1 hour if possible). It can be a simple walk or a full workout, just move and breathe!
- Get in touch with someone you have been meaning to reconnect with for a while but keep putting it off. It can be a quick phone call or a text to get the convo started.
- Set some time aside to read or write. Put your phone down at least one hour before bed to disconnect and calm your thoughts. This can help you have a more restful night’s sleep without the mind wandering.
- Spend some time in the fresh air! I am guilty of it too, but it’s so important to step away from the computer, or the office, and get outside! Even if it’s just for a quick 15 minute breather. I try to take phone calls and meetings in outdoor settings whenever possible to have a change of pace and to get some vitamin D. It can boost your whole perspective and spark creativity and new ideas!
- Plan ahead and book something that you have been DYING to do for yourself. It could be a girls weekend, a vacation with your friends or family, a solo retreat just for you… whatever you keep putting off because of work or other commitments, just stop waiting and DO it!You’ll be a happier and healthier person, both for you and the people around you, if you STOP and take some time to take care of YOU!
What are some of your favorite #selfcare steps?